Author Topic: psoriasis in the army  (Read 6461 times)

Offline steviet

• Novice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
psoriasis in the army
« on: January 02, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
hi am ste,

ive always wanted to join the army and have devoted my life around it. recently i obtained an application form to join but it says that any person with skin conditions such as p can not join, id like to know why not because im verry fit and kean and i cant see how p would affect me in any such way.

Offline Buster

• Forum God
  • Liked:
Re: psoriasis in the army
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:10:16 PM »
Go and ask your local army recuitment officer. I'm sure he will explain fully. It maybe that it depends on the amount

Offline SJ

• Global Moderator
  • Forum God
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 07:12:22 PM »
Hi Ste and welcome along

I moved your first post here as I think it will draw more attention and replies!

There have been questions raised about Psoriasis and certain careers before here; the Fire Brigade also have a strict medical exclusion policy.

I found this: http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200001/cmselect/cmdfence/29/29ap07.htm. It seems psoriasis does indeed bar applicants completely for the following reasons:

"I can confirm that the Army adopts a stricter policy on psoriasis than the other two Services and bars anyone who has, or has a history of, psoriasis. The reasons for this are that individuals need to be able to withstand the rigors of initial training and subsequent military operations, and to perform their tasks without risk to their own or others' health and safety. Soldiers may be required to serve in adverse conditions which may exacerbate psoriasis. Severe attacks can be debilitating and could prevent sufferers from carrying out their military duties, thereby potentially putting themselves and their colleagues at risk. Furthermore, some deployments to isolated areas may have limited medical facilities and it could be difficult to provide the necessary medical treatment"

However, it also states that an applicant with P should be 'judged on an individual's medical history'.

SJ
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 07:17:33 PM by SJ »

Offline geniejack

• Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:25:13 PM »
My brother put in to join the the army some yrs ago,when he got to his medical,he was declined as he has P also.From what I can remember,it was to do with the nuclear warfare aspect and the protective clothing.Sorry for being a bit vague x

April xx

Nicknackwack

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »
Hi Ste and welcome to PHO from me

I am ex-Army and saw 12 years service. During my last year of service I was diagnosed with psoriasis although it was'nt the reason I left the Army. Numerous colleagues though who had medical issues were drummed out, no questions asked !!

When you apply for selection to join the Forces you will undergo a very strict medical examination and their findings will determine whether or not you are recruited. It is as 'black and white' as that. There are no grey area's where previous medical conditions are concerned.

As Buster has pointed out, your Army recruitment centre will be able to give you more information. And as SJ has pointed out there is a protocol regarding psoriasis but you will be dealt with very fairly by the recruitment team. Remember they only pick the best ~ harsh, but a fact.

Good luck

Nick

Offline rick45

• Member of the UK Psoriasis Help Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 11:06:03 PM »
i  spent 9 years in the marines and just before i started my 30 week basic training a had a guttate flair up and a thought thats it cant join up now but i had nothing to lose so just headed down to lympstone and and thought they would send me home on the next train but they didnt they said if it didnt effect me than they didnt mind any way the hardest thing was jumping in the shower with 59 blokes i didnt know but they were ok the initial ehh whats that and that was it anyway it cleared up completely with in 6 weeks and i went on to complete training with flying colours i had 1 more flair up 2 years later but again it cleared and went on to serve an enjoyable 9 years when i left in 2000 it seems to come back yearly now at the moment i have a guttate flair after a sore throat just before xmas  :-\
 so if the army wont have you than the royal marines or the royal navy will give you the benifit of the doubt and i met quite a few people with p when i was in ;)

Offline SJ

• Global Moderator
  • Forum God
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 09:06:11 AM »
I suppose one hting we haven't asked is how bad is your P and what treatments do you use?

If you are a very mild sufferer and don't use anything more than moisturiser and don't even see a derm, then that is a more viable applicant than one who is covered and has to use more complicated therapies?

Certainly, the army will have a copy of your medical records and can check....

SJ

Trap3

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 09:46:59 PM »
A member on here called chunkymonkey said he spent seven years in the army with P , so perhaps its a relatively new thing

Offline Anglichanin

• Forum God
  • Member of the UK Psoriasis Help Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 01:45:48 PM »
Remember they only pick the best ~ harsh, but a fact.

:o :o :o      HAR DE HAR HAR  ;) ;)
как я рад что на зубах нет кожи :-)

hank

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »
Skin conditions leaves you at greater risk of infections from radioactive, chemical and biological traces

For the same reason you will not get a job in  a nuclear facility ( power station)

This site is owned by Gekkonidae Ltd, a not for profit organisation.

Using this site means that you accept these terms of use - click here